It’s only by breaking our own boundaries can we get closer to our families and start having honest and meaningful conversations
We want to start the dialogue on topics often brushed under the carpet, topics that are sometimes difficult to bring up, topics we didn’t even
We always say ‘Don’t bottle it up’ but do we speak up enough?
HELP US GET TALKING
Add your voice to our glass bottle that cracks with each entry and shatters when we’ve got 1,000!
One comment will be selected each week to discuss (anonymously of course) and it could be YOURS!
Comment on our articles, interviews and posts! Start exploring now!
Listen and call in on our radio discussions with leading Asian networks! See schedule here.
In the News!
- Sunrise Radio, one of England’s leading Asian radio stations, announces launch of #CanWeTalkAboutThis
in the morning news! – Listen now!
- Anushay Hossain – author, commentator, writer and activist who has appeared on Al-Jazeera, BBC Radio and Canada’s CBC and whose works are regularly featured in the likes of The International Herald Tribue has shared a very special piece with us called “My Big Fat Feminist Pregnancy”. Make sure to check it out on our website!
- Very excited to have Youth Ki Awaaz, India’s largest youth platform reaching 4.5M people join our #CanWeTalkAboutThis campaign! Can’t wait to see what today’s young Indians want the asian community to talk about!
- South Asian Sisters, the avant garde group to bring us Yoni Ki Baat (the desi Vagina Monologues) which have helped many of us come to terms and frankly talk about our bodies, desires and sexual experiences – has shared with us their thinking, their journey and their triumphs in making this very special production.
- We love how brave these readers were by speaking up & joining #CanWeTalkAboutThis – see what they have to say and ADD YOUR VOICE today
- Read an article written by our very own editor Uttama Patel on South Asian Concern, a multi-racial partnership of Christians with a focus on South Asian concerns.
- Read what The Brown Girl Chronicles, a blog that brings together a collection of strong voices and colourful experiences to capture the evolving identity that is the South Asian female, has to say about our campaign!
- A big thanks to South Asian In-laws for supporting our campaign and providing guidance on the challenging relationship that comes with the word in-laws.
|July 10th:||Read NEW stories on SouthAsianParent.com and ADD YOUR VOICE to the #CanWeTalkAboutThis bottle!|
|July 16th:||There’s a chance we’ll be on the radio this week so be sure to check back for details to see when
you can listen and call in to us!
|July 20th:||There’s a chance we’ll be on the radio this week so be sure to check back for details to see when
you can listen and call in to us!
|July 24th:||Read NEW stories on SouthAsianParent.com|
|Feb 2013:||Watch a FREE reading of the play “Free Outgoing” by Anupama Chandrasekhar which “sets the rampant technology of the modern world against the conservatism of a traditional society” – location to be confirmed.|
|Mar 2013:||Come write messages on little glass bottles, smash them to pieces and watch the broken glass get turned into art – location to be confirmed.|
- “Sex & Tech: Results from a Survey of Teens and Young Adults” report by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen & Unplanned Pregnancy in conjunction with Cosmogirl.com in late 2008 found that 48% of teens and 64% of young adults (56% total) have received sexually suggestive messages.
- The Humsafar Trust, an India- based Lesbian Gay Bixsexsual and Transgender (LGBT) community group involved in advocacy, research, counseling and awareness programs since 1994 has estimated the Indian LGBT population at 70 million.